how i save my tomato seeds
A Step by Step Photo Demonstration
- Select a ripe heirloom tomato (or several)
- Cut in half horizontally
- Squeeze out seeds and juice into a jar
- Let sit for a week. The liquid will start to ferment, and a layer of mould will form on the top.
- Add water, the seeds will sink and mould will float. Pour off the mould.
- You may need to add more water & repeat
- Strain seeds. Set aside. Let dry on a screen.
- Store seeds in a dark, dry place in an envelope.
Step #1 – Start with ripe, healthy heirloom tomatoes.
Step #4: LABEL & set-aside. Let ferment for 4-7 days.
You will notice a layer of mould form on the top
Step #6: Let settle. Pour off top layer of mould and water. Do not pour out seeds.
Step #7: Let seeds settle. Repeat Step #6, until only clear water & seeds remain.